HISTORY: The Church of Christ in Boerne met for the
first time on
October 10, 1945. It began with a ten day tent meeting. As one
early member, Jo Cravey,
recalls, " A hard norther blew in, nearly knocking the tent down."
W.S. Boyett, her brother
from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma did the preaching and Robert Simmons,
of Kerrville, led the
singing. After this successful meeting, members met in the home of
Mrs. Sue Lewis Downey
and Mrs. Clara B. Ramsey. During the next eighteen months, plans
for purchasing land and
erecting the first building came to fruition and a site on Bandera
Street was selected with
construction completed in 1947. The members met there until
December, 1961, at which time
the building was erected on the corner of San Antonio and Turner
When an offer came from David and Lindabeth Vaughan to purchase this building to be used as a funeral home, the church members decided to accept and build a new building on property it owned west of Highway 10. Arrangements were made with the school district to use school facilities until a new building could be built. The new building was dedicated on January 23, 1994.
Source: Boerne Public Library files.
Please Press your Browser's BACK Button to Return to Main Page.