818 High Street, Comfort

HISTORY: This building, designed by Alfred Giles, was originally a 3-room building built in 1880 for Peter Joseph Ingenhuett. The west parlor wing was added in 1894. The hotel was operated until 1893 by Charles Karger who was a brother to Mrs. Peter J. Ingenhuett. Then the hotel was run by Ernst Ingenhuett, a son of the Peter Ingenhuett's. Ernst ran the hotel for about 10 years during which time his family lived there for a while. In 1894, the building was enlarged to 18 rooms.

In 1909 Louis and Mathilda Faust purchased the hotel. They operated it until 1946. After that the building fell into decline. It was in the 1980's that Dr. and Mrs. Bob Potter acquired the building. They restored it and it again became an attractive operating business with antiques and "Bed and Breakfast" accommodations.

This building was designated as Texas Historical Landmark in 1985.

Source: Boerne Public Library files.

Please use your BACK Button to return to Index.