|OWNERS: Kendalia community||LOCATION:Kendalia, Kendall County, TX||DATE:c1886 Style/Period: country church|
|BUILDER: Kendalia Methodist Church||CONSTRUCTED OF: Wood; tin roof; 6 x 6 windows||DESCRIPTION:One room, frame church with steep roof; one entry door.|
HISTORY: In 1882 the editor of Boerne's newspaper Union Land
Register, Carl Gustav Vogel and his wife, Ettie, bought about five hundred acres
of land in this area from the Sexton family. [ The land is part of the town of
Kendalia plat made for the Vogel's by D. W. Grady who was the Kendall County
Surveyor.] After Kendalia Methodist Episcopal Church, South organized in 1886,
the Vogel's deeded this site to the congregation. Community residents built this
meeting house. The fellowship merged with the First Methodist Church of Boerne
in 1966. A new congregation, "Kendalia Community Church", acquired this building
and continues to serve the area.
The church was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1979.
Source: Boerne Public Library files; sketches courtesy of Col. Bettie Edmonds.
Back to Kendall Main Page