In May 1875 the Boerne Methodist Church began with five members. The Rev. Witt was pastor, and J. S. Gillett was the Presiding Elder. The town of Boerne was only twenty-six years old. In 1877, the church was reorganized by Rev. H. W. South from Bandera. There were fifteen members. Services were first held in the Kuhfuss Building on Main Street downtown over a saloon; then in the Kendall county Court House; and later in the LaMott Building which was later known as the Graham Building. The room in the LaMott Building was upstairs and the congregation had to go through the back yard to reach it.
In 1879, the first church building was erected--the first church built in Boerne. It was located near the present old Catholic Church. One carpenter and volunteer labor did all the construction of this small building. The materials were hauled in wagons over bad roads from San Antonio. The ceiling was a gift from George Waterman.In 1900, the Rev. Govett was pastor, and the building was moved to the present site of the church located at 205 E. James Street. With some additions and improvements, it served as Sunday School and Sanctuary for sixty more years. Much of the material used in the sanctuary addition came from Camp Wise, a WWI Balloon Field near San Antonio. This was in 1920 when Bro. Adair was pastor. An interesting fact was that Charles Perrin, who was totally blind, stood on scaffolding and laid stone for stone with other members who donated time and money. Mrs. Annie Fellows Johnson, author of the "Little Colonel Series", donated paint and chairs.
The first Sunday School Superintendent was P.D. Saner. The organist and teacher was Miss Bertha Waterman who later married Charles Perrin. Other early teachers were Miss Mary Bishop, Charles Perrin, J. C. Goodloe, Mrs. Annie Perrin Adair, Mrs. Minnie Perrin Davis, and Mrs. Nellie Perrin Thomson. Mrs. Minnie Davis served as the church secretary-treasurer for sixty-five years and taught Sunday School for seventy-five. Mrs. Gerald Saxon has taught and supervised childrens' activities and summer church schools for thirty-five years.
Ground was broken for a new educational building in
was named for Gerald Saxon who had given much service to his
church. Saxon Hall was
opened in the spring of 1967.
-from a history by Eugene R. Haas and Nellmarie Huff, 1975.